Friday, June 13, 2014

ADULTING (YES, IT'S A VERB)



Adulting.  That elusive ability to appear like you have all your stuff together.  You are responsible with your money and don't buy frivolous things like pets that aren't real, you are cool, calm, and collected in almost every awkward situation, and you're not afraid to have tough conversations with people.

As I was pumping myself up to make a difficult phone call, I thought about this whole adulting thing and how it's not nearly as cool as it's cracked up to be.  As a kid, you think of adults as these other worldly beings whose intellect knows no bounds and they can do just about anything.  Lost that pair of shorts?  I bet they know where it is.  Need help turning on the TV?  No sweat.  Sure, these are simple things, but at the time I thought, "Wow!  When I get to be an adult, I'm going to know EVERYTHING!"

Sadly, this is not the case.  Sure, I know how to turn on the TV and am halfway decent at remembering where I left my shorts, but there are some things that adults are expected to be proficient at that I wasn't aware of.

Anything that is uncomfortable or awkward, I usually put off for as long as I possibly can or try to get someone else to do my dirty work.

For the past few months, I've been selling some of my wares on consignment at a little vintage shop in the area.  The owner is so sweet and reached out to me about selling my things in her shop.  I sold a few things, but there hasn't really been any activity for the past few months.  Since I had so much inventory there, I had made the decision I wanted to pull it and try selling it somewhere else.  The shop isn't huge and is largely supported by vendor sales, so I didn't want it to seem like I had lost faith in the shop, though.

Some people I asked about the situation suggested I just go in there tomorrow and say that I'm taking everything with me and send the owner a note afterward.  That would have probably been easier, but I knew it wasn't the "adult" thing to do.  I had to call the owner and talk to her before any action was taken.  She ended up being so sweet.  I'm sure she realized this store might not be the correct avenue for my stuff, but she was very complimentary and gave me ideas of some other places that might work better.  What I had thought would be like a bad breakup where you worry about running into that person in the street, turned out to be a very level headed and reasonable conversation.

This whole conversation led me to another realization about this whole adulting thing: reasonable people will 95% of the time act reasonably.  I had gone so far down the worst case scenario that I almost scared myself from taking the responsible action.

And out of this all also came another skill I have to add to my adulting arsenal.  I will fail, but I will also succeed.  Life is a balancing act.  This store didn't work out, but my things in another store (Made) do well.  Successful adulting is about realizing when changes are needed and then having the courage to make those changes and the perseverance to follow through with them.  I'm still a work in progress, but hopefully soon I will be adulting the crap out of life:)


What are some adulting skills you've developed or are still working on?

13 comments:

  1. i need to start using that word a whole lot more. i like it. aren't we all a work in progress? At least that's what i tell myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always helpful knowing we aren't alone in feeling we don't have it all together. It sure makes me feel better! Thanks so much for your comment. Good luck adulting it up this weekend:)

      Delete
  2. Have you read the book Adulting? you should pick it up@!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is? I'm going to look for it now! Thanks for the heads up, Nicole! Hope you're having a great day!

      Delete
  3. Uh. Adulting. Do they offer classes on this subject? They really should (those real adults). Good job making the call. That lady totally sounds like a reasonable adult (maybe she could teach the class). And congrats on making such savvy business choices! Woo! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They do need classes on the subject. Thanks, Devon:) I always get so nervous making phone calls anyways. Why is talking on the phone so weird? I like seeing people's faces when I'm talking so I can get a pulse on if they're rolling their eyes at me or not.

      Hope you're having a great Friday!!

      Delete
  4. Serious phone calls of just about any sort scare me--glad it all went smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know where to start, I'm not even pretending to be an adult with everything together most of the time! I see other people who look so grown up and responsible, I've no idea how they do it. Most days I have to remind myself that I'm not ten any more. Well done on having that difficult conversation, and I'm glad it went well. Good luck with your selling through the other avenues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally do this. I sit and dwell over something and come up with crazy scenarios in my head and then when I confront the situation, it's never as bad as I might it out to be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YYYYYYEEEESSSSS! I HAVE SUCH A CRUSH ON YOU IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you read the Adulting blog or book?! They are spot on with a mix of helpful and funny suggestions for all kinds of real life scenarios. But yep, I always overthink possible confrontations/rocky discussions...and 9/10 (or probably even more, like 95/100) they end up being fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ughhh, yes. I am terrible at being an adult! I mean if laundry didn't have to be done, I might be moderate at it, by my mound of recently laundered, yet wrinkly unfolded clothes makes me get a C+ at adulting. Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No. It's not.

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/adulting

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!