Monday, September 22, 2014

BOOZY SNOW CONE RECIPE


I mentioned how delicious our boozy snow cones turned out for a little blogger get together a few weeks ago here, and now I'm back to share the recipe with you!

Meg was so sweet to come over a few days before the event to help me make the syrups.  I found a few general recipes online, but figured we could kind of wing it.

The biggest lesson we learned is that a little simple syrup goes a long way.  Remember that this is a very concentrated syrup that you only need a very small portion of to make a big impact in your drink.

We made two different flavors: strawberry basil lime and lemon berry (we made an alcoholic and non-alcoholic version of this flavor).


Strawberry Basil Lime
--2 cups of water (for a big batch)
--1 cup of sugar (We used Truvia for a lower calorie option. Make sure to buy the baking blend version.)

This will make a large batch of simple syrup.  If you want to make a smaller batch, just adjust the amount of water and sugar, always keeping the ratio of 2 parts water to 1 part sugar the same.

--3 cups of cut up strawberries (there isn't really an exact science here, just add a healthy serving of strawberries)
--4-5 basil leaves
--1 lime

Step 1: Add your water and sugar to a saucepan and heat over medium heat until all the sugar dissolves. 

Step 2:  Once the sugar has dissolved in the water, take the saucepan off the heat and let cool for about 30 minutes. 

Step 3:  Pour the cooled sugar water into a bowl and add the strawberries and basil.  With a potato masher, mash the fruit and leaves.  You're trying to get the flavor into the sugar water mixture. 

Step 4:  Next, with a fine mesh strainer, strain the mixture into another bowl.  Then squeeze the juice of one lime into the syrup and stir. 

Step 5:  The final step is when you add the vodka if you want to make this snow cone syrup boozy.  Meg and I had a difficult time figuring out how much vodka to add.  We started off with 3 ounces, then moved to 6, and onto 9.  Right before the party, Meg added more, and they turned out great.  I guess this part depends on how boozy you want the snow cones to be.  I would suggest starting slowly and adding a little more alcohol at a time to get to the taste you prefer.

Drizzle some over some shaved ice and enjoy!

 
Lemon Berry

Everything is the same as the recipe above, except swap out 2 lemons and about 2 cups of blueberries instead of the strawberries, basil, and lime.

What I loved about these recipes is that they didn't require us to stick to a strict recipe.  It's just a lot of taste testing as you go and adding together flavors that sound good.  Thanks Meg for helping me make these delicious syrups!  It was a great excuse to hang out:)




Have you made simple syrups before?  Any flavor combinations I should try next?

6 comments:

  1. Still need to try these suckers... They look and sound SO GOOD!

    You going to be at any of the KCFW events this week, doll? Lemme know!

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum that lemon berry one sounds fabulous! I second Ashley's question, too : ).
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! You were so nice when you said I added a little bit (a lot bit!) more! Hahahah! :) SO fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed my snow cone! It was so refreshing, especially since it was still hot. Now, I'm curled up in my comforter and even busted out my warm fuzzy socks today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound so good and not super super difficult!! I love snow cones!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds good. I really like your article. Thank you for sharing this helpful content. Keep sharing more like this. best rated snow cone syrup

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!