Friday, January 24, 2014

VISITING THE ALL ELECTRIC HOUSE: THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE

Over Christmas we wanted to do something a little cultural amidst all the eating and presents, so we made a visit to the Johnson County Museum's All Electric House.  All electric, you say?  That's crazy!  Well, not any more friends.  It's the wave of the future.

The house was built by the Kansas City Power and Light company in the 1950s to showcase all the great new electric gadgets homeowners could now enjoy. 
The house used to be near our neighborhood, but was moved to its current location.  Everything has been restored to how it would have looked in the 1950s and set up for Christmas. 
I couldn't get over the tile in the bathroom.  So cute.  Reminds me of the bathrooms in our home.
Probably the coolest thing that I saw (that I didn't already have in my home today) were the master switches next to the (double) beds in the master bedroom.  These switches controlled the lights/outlets in the whole house.  So you could turn off the lights in the kitchen if you forgot from the comfort of your bed.  Why don't we have that today? 
The tinsel tree was adorable.  Underneath the tree were some common gifts children may have received at that time.  I guess gender specific items were a must.  A cook book for Susie and a football for Sam.
Afterwards, we went to Fritz's, a restaurant where the food is delivered via a train that drops it off for you.
Choo, choo!

14 comments:

  1. That house is adorable. I like the idea of the switches in the bedroom.
    I've always wanted to go to Fritz! I'm going to have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fun place! There's one down in Crown Center, too. Hope you're having a great day!

      Delete
  2. This house is really awesome , feels so innovative! Haha , Fritz restaurant is a genius .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any place that uses a train to deliver my food is an A+ in my book:)

      Delete
  3. What an amazing house, I'd love to visit it, so cutting edge! The restaurant looks brilliant, you guys always look as if you're having so much fun. I hope you both have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That restaurant looks like too much fun! I'll have to remember that and the house the next time I am in Kansas City.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a must visit. I always love theme restaurants:)

      Delete
  5. Oh man, now I want to go to both that house and Fritz's!! Looks like too much fun! I love seeing what ideas of what the future would be like that people had...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's so interesting to see what people thought was so cutting edge that we take for granted now.

      Delete
  6. We love Fritz's! Not so much for the food as much as the experience. :) We love the museum for their free Kidscape play area, but that house looks really awesome! I bet life was so much simpler then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That play area was really cool! I bet it was simpler, but I would have not liked doing all that housework that would have been expected of me:)

      Delete
  7. I can only imagine you were in heaven in this little vintage home. What a fun thing to visit and do together. I want a train to bring me my food. Imagine if you had that in your house! Guests would sure like to ask about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so in love with this little house! I'd totally live in it! Except maybe I'd push those twin beds together in the master. That's very Lucy and Ricky, isn't it? ;o)

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!