Friday, November 7, 2014

PEICD (PROJECTS EVEN I CAN DO): FEATHER NECKLACE


A few weeks ago, I shared how I taught some lovely ladies at Tulip boutique how to make these fun feather necklaces for fall.

Now I'm back to share the instructions with you so you can make your own!  It's easy enough for me to do, so definitely falls in the "Projects Even I Can Do" bucket.

First up, you'll need just a few supplies....

--Feathers
--Leather cord
--Gold Leafing pen
--Jump rings
--Gold chain
--Tape
--Hot Glue

Step 1:  Add any embellishment you want to your feathers.  I added gold stripes to my orange feather with the gold leafing pen and left the other feathers natural.

Step 2:  Gather the feathers together and arrange them how you like and then wrap the stems with a piece of tape.  Be sure to wrap the tape tightly around so that the feathers do not fall apart.  You can also trim the ends of you feathers if you think they're too long.

Step 3:  Next, cut a piece of leather cord and wrap it around the tape.  This is just being done to cover up the tape.  Add a dab of hot glue as you wrap to hold the leather in place.

Step 4:  When you reach the top, put a dab of hot glue on one side of the tape and then form a bridge, upside down "U", or whatever you want to call it to the other side.  Before you hot glue the end, though, slide on a jump ring.  Then glue the end of the leather cord.

Step 5:  All that's left is to thread the gold chain through the jump ring and you're all set to wear your necklace!

Send me a picture if you end up making one.  I'd love to see!

8 comments:

  1. Beautifully made, you found (and decorated) some lovely feathers. Simple but effective and striking. Wishing you a good weekend Kari. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's such a fine piece to wear. If I hadnt seen the tutorial, I might have thought it's from a shop. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta get on making one, I love how unique it is... you're just so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to make one of these. They're so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! And they definitely look easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You seriously always amaze me with your DIY projects...and make me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow these turned out awesome!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!