Thursday, December 5, 2013

WINE TASTING AT STONE PILLAR WINERY

We went wine tasting with my parents the other week.  It's kind of become a little tradition where we'll try out local wineries to find the wine to serve at our family holiday get togethers.  I have to credit my mom for the great idea.  It's fun trying something local and hearing the history about the vineyard.
This year we tried out Stone Pillar winery in Olathe, Kansas.  They grow a lot of their grapes on the property and then purchase the rest from another grower in Kansas.  I like that it's home grown and isn't just a place serving wine made from grapes grown in other states.  It's legit.  My dad and I aren't big wine drinkers, but they always seem to have a wine that tastes more like grape juice.  That's the only way we get him to taste some.

Hopefully we found a wine that will suit everyone's tastes for Christmas this year.  Not too sweet and not too bitter, but just right.

Do you have any traditions you do in preparation for the holidays?

7 comments:

  1. This trip sounds so fun . I have never been to a winery (age , age , age) so I really don't know how it goes ;)
    Noor | Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon enough you'll be able to go to one, and it'll be a blast! Thanks, Noor:)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful tradition. I love the photo of all of you together - one to treasure I think. And I love the idea of going to find wines made locally with a local story behind them, and supporting a local smaller winery. You look like you had a lovely time. Our traditions are far less sophisticated around here, and usually involve small boys, shiny decorations and cake. Although we do always go for a walk on a nearby beach after Christmas (Boxing Day or New Year's Day) and I take lots of photos. It's one of my favourite things of the season. I also love the boys' school carol service which is held in the church, which is beautifully candlelit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your traditions sound wonderful, too! I can't wait to see the pictures from your walk on the beach! Thanks, CJ:)

      Delete
  3. That is so special! I love that tradition! I've always wanted to visit a winery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally have those mulling spices in my house! I've been dying to try it out but I need an occasion plus about 5 more people to help me drink a crock pot of wine. Can I add your post to my wine post round up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'd love that! Thanks so much and hope you're having a great day!

      Delete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!