Sunday, October 20, 2013

HALLOWEEN COSTUME IDEAS: MOONRISE KINGDOM

Last year, Wade and I went to see the movie Moonrise Kingdom in a little theater that hadn't really been updated since the 1960s, and I fell in love.  Wes Anderson had done it again.  The clothes, the dialogue. Everything about the movie stuck with me.  So when Halloween rolled around last year, I knew I wanted to go as Sam and Suzy, the two tweenage star-crossed lovers.
   We pulled these costumes together in about a week.  Wade is pretty handy with a hot glue gun and made all his patches and even the yellow piping on his uniform.  I lucked out with my dress.  It was actually Wade's mom's from the 60s that was the perfect shade of pink.  I paired it with a raspberry beret (you know the kind you buy from a second hand store;) and made my shoes by painting white keds with black acrylic paint.  The key was in the accessories.  A pair of binoculars and a coonskin cap topped off the outfits.
This was my all-time favorite Halloween costume and even scored us as runner ups in a costume contest.

  I wish we could go as Sam and Suzy again, but we are teaming up with my brother and sister-in-law this year to go as an ensemble from a movie whose main character I've come into close proximity with in the recent past, much to my dismay.  Any guesses?  What has been your favorite Halloween costume?

14 comments:

  1. I am in love with those costumes! You guys look amazing! I can't wait to see this years costume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carly! This year's costume is going to be something my husband picked, so not my favorite, but should still be fun:) I'll post pictures soon!

      Delete
  2. It has to be Batman! Fantastic costumes, you both looked amazing. So creative, although of course I wouldn't expect anything less from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right!! Way to go, CJ!! My brother is going to break out his Batman costume he wore to my nephew's birthday party. My husband is going to be the Joker, and I'm going to be Harley Quinn (the Joker's girlfriend). My sister-in-law will be Poison Ivy and her brother and sister are going to go as Robin and Batgirl. We'll have the whole cast covered:) I wanted to reprise our costumes from last year, but it will be fun to do something as a group, too. I'll post pictures:)

      Delete
  3. I had to google who you guys were since I've never seen the movie, and GOOD JOB!!! You guys nailed it with the costumes! :o) (For the record, I would totally wear that dress as a regular day-to-day outfit. It's adorable!) Who beat you guys in the contest?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sarah!! It was the one costume I've worn that really seemed to come together and look like the actual people we were portraying:) I do need to break out that dress more for the everyday! You just gave me a great outfit idea, so thank you! I don't remember who got first place now--I was too surprised our names were called for second place:) Thanks again for your comment, and I hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  4. Best costume ever! I wanna be Suzy! You guys rocked this. You look just like them (only taller).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Devon! I know--I want to dress like Suzy every day. Now I really want to watch this movie again and force Wade to dress up in these costumes again this year:)

      Delete
  5. Kari, me too! This film is awesome, and special for my beloved and I, we are true Wes Anderson fans (I even have a toy penguin called Wes...) Best costume ever, well done you both look fab!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one cool penguin then:) Thank you, Heidi! Love it that you guys are such big fans, too!

      Delete
  6. definitely that time in college when I was cupid. best.costume.ever. NOT! I like your new sidebar and picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was definitely the best costume, Kate:) You should have snagged a few suitors with your bow and arrow. They were missing out. Thanks so much about the sidebar and picture! It's definitely a work in progress. I have a few more changes I want to make, but this was a good start.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Helene! I appreciate it:) Hope you're having a great day!

      Delete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!