Wednesday, October 30, 2013

LAST MINUTE HALLOWEEN COSTUME: WE ARE ALL MADE OF STARS//LOWERING MY EXPECTATIONS

Ever have one of those times when you had this great idea brewing in your mind, but when you tried to make it a reality, it didn't come out as neat as you expected and turned into a big ol' mess that you didn't want to deal with?  Well, this was one of those times.It took way longer than I thought, didn't look as amazing as I had envisioned, it was too dark to take pictures last night to post this before today, I just wanted to lie down and watch TV, etc.

I came up with this last minute Halloween costume idea last week when I was thinking about the quote "we are all made of stars" that I posted about.  I thought it would be so cool to come full circle and make a costume based on it.  So I imagined draping myself with gilded stars and thought it would take at the most 20 minutes to complete.

It didn't take too long, but it wasn't the breezy 20 minutes I expected either.  I think part of the problem was I didn't want to ruin my black shirt and wanted to make something to just hang over my clothes.  Just gluing all the stars to my shirt would have been easier.

I was going to label this a DIY fail, but I figured it was such a pain in the butt the concept was interesting and could make an easy DIY for someone with more skills than me else.  You could label this costume as "we are all made of stars", "starry night", "a night under the stars".  The possibilities are endless.

Supplies Needed:
--2 pieces of 12x12 cardstock in shiny gold and glitter gold
--2 black pipe cleaners
--1 headband
--1 roll of black ribbon
--Hot glue gun
--Scissors

Step 1:
Trace a star shape out in a big size and little size.  Then use it to cut a ton of stars out of your gold card stock.

Step 2:
Cut a piece of ribbon about 42 inches, or whatever fits around your shoulders.  Then cut two more pieces of ribbon, each 50 inches long and glue like the picture above.  This is forming the shape that you can put over your head and glue other pieces of ribbon to for the base of the stars.

Then glue varying lengths of black ribbon onto the front of the shape and hot glue all your stars onto the ribbon strands in a mismatched pattern.

Step 3:
Now for the headband.  Take an extra star and glue a pipe cleaner to the back of it.
Then measure how long your pipe cleaner needs to be by measuring it on the headband.  You'll just wrap the pipe cleaner around the headband, so you can always remove if you don't like it.

And you're done!  

And then I thought it would be funny to throw a big pile of wet leaves over myself.

Have you ever had a project that didn't turn out the way you expected/wasn't as easy as you thought?  Happy (almost) Halloween everyone!

9 comments:

  1. I love the last picture! At least you stuck with it and didn't give up! Great concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! You always know just what to say:)

      Delete
  2. Aww, I think this came out really cute! I sort of LOVE the headband and may consider wearing that like... every day of the year? :-)

    Best,
    Danielle
    http://awriterinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Danielle! You made my day:) I think you should wear a headband like that every day! It's glitzy for the winter months:)

      Delete
  3. It's great! I love the way you've got the stars all over yourself without actually sticking them to yourself. Hope you have a good Hallowe'en. I have a pumpkin to carve here, and I shall find some sweets for the trick-or-treaters. We're off to the local wetlands reserve tomorrow as well which is always enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CJ:) I really appreciate it. I was feeling pretty bummed about it while I was doing it, but it turned out ok. Have fun carving that pumpkin and make sure you save some sweets for yourself, too:) Have a great day tomorrow--that sounds like a lot of fun!

      Delete
  4. You look adorable! And I am not crafty at ALL, so most of my "projects" end up taking forever and not turning out quite as I imagined. So I feel you. But I still think your costume turned out really cute. :) Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw you look really cute Kari :) I'm still hanging on to the idea of making a Moonlight Kingdom costume, not for Halloween of course now, but just because :) Yours was so good!

    Happy Halloween
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's cute! Gold sparkly stars make me happy and so do you. No costume will ever suck more than my cupid costume!

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!