Monday, October 28, 2013

JUST RUN

While away a few weekends ago, I got a few moments to myself.  The weather was so perfect that I decided to take advantage of it.  Last year at this time, my favorite thing to do on a day like this would be to go on a run.  It was my alone time, my time to clear my head, my solace.  If you've been reading for a while, then you know I've been having knee problems for the past 10 months.  My knee seems like it's slowly starting to get better, though.  I tried those minimal running shoes, but haven't found that to be a cure all solution like I was hoping.  I've been trying to change my running style, but it's hard to break habits you've had all your life.

This day, though, I just wanted to go and run.  Didn't matter if it would be for 2 minutes.  I just wanted to prove to myself I could do at least a little something.  I didn't have my GPS to tell me how far I had gone or how long.  I had no idea where I was going since I was in a new place.  I found a huge field to run back and forth in, and you know what?  My knee held up ok, and it turned into one of those moments where everything feels right with the world.  For that moment, my body was working like I wanted it to.  I wasn't worried about what I had to do later.  It was freeing to be able to do something I used to do, but without the goals and timetables I used to place on myself to validate I had a "good run".  At least for this day, I felt a little like I was on the road to recovery.

What do you do to find quiet time that makes you happy?

18 comments:

  1. I'm proud you did so . We all should find a point to move on . FURTHER and more far .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noor! I really appreciate your support:)

      Delete
  2. this is a really beautiful story, Kari :)! I too have a lot of love for running,, but to really escape, I play music on my flute ! It makes everything better! Have a great rest of the week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an awesome way to escape! I used to play the flute in high school, so we're flute buddies:) I hope you have a great week, too!

      Delete
  3. Well done Kari :) I'm just getting back into my running atm too, keep us updated with your progress!

    Heidi x
    http://heidis-box-of-various.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, Heidi! I'll keep you posts, and you keep me posted on how it's going, too:)

      Delete
    2. Just to let you know, I ran 16 minutes last night, without taking a break, my current record :) Best of luck to you!
      x

      Delete
    3. That is AWESOME!!! Congratulations--what an accomplishment:) Keep it up!! You are doing so great!

      Delete
  4. It's neat to hear how your are redefining what it means to have a good run. It's something I've tried to do with my surfing as well. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it really is just about having fun and being outside.

    p.s. I'm trying acupuncture for my back tomorrow. Have you ever tried it before? I know (like probably a lot of people do) some people who swear by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Redefining success is hard. I constantly have to remind myself that I'm doing things just for fun and not to take it so seriously:) I haven't tried acupuncture, but I have heard a lot of good things about it. Let me know how it goes and if it helps. I would totally try it for my knee if it works for your back! I did try a chiropractor a few months ago, but wasn't that impressed. Could have just been the guy I went to. A friend of mine swears by massages. I've felt weird about trying that before, but have you tried it? Hope all goes well today!! Let me know!

      Delete
  5. This is such a nice story to hear. I try to get into running, but I find it really difficult. Ipod in and people watching is my quiet time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to music and watching people sounds like a great way to unwind:) Thank you for your nice comment, Sammy! Hope you're having a great day!

      Delete
  6. We both wrote about finding that "quiet" time on the same DAY!!!! I didn't even know it. I saw your photo on bloglovin and read it this morning :) Love love love it. I love that you can find that in running. I hope your knee continues to hold out. My husband has had 4 knee surgeries, and I have been there as he struggles to find his fitness again. Hang in there! It can be so discouraging.
    Elicia @lifesajournee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! Thanks so much for your sweet comment:) I feel for your husband. That is terrible to have so many surgeries. At least he's had you to be his nurse:)

      Delete
  7. Good for you, Kari! That's great! I've been trying to work out more, but somehow, I can't find the time or energy. ;) I hate doing it but LOVE the way it makes me feel, especially when I know I've pushed myself. I combine some of my favorite quiet times: elliptical and reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great quiet time:) You've got a lot going on, so cut yourself some slack:) Thanks so much for your sweet comment, Jessica!

      Delete
  8. I love love love your star outfit, this is to cute and doesn't look to hard to make, great photos, thanks so much for sharing ;)

    Laura x
    www.sidestreetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks Laura:) I really appreciate your sweet comment. I didn't feel the best about it, but comments like yours really make me smile:)

      Delete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!